Here’s How To Protect Your Suede Shoes
Sweet, sweet suedes. I don’t know about you, but I am so glad that suede is back in style. I love the 70’s vibe it brings to my ensemble, especially when it’s paired with some killer fringe. There is one downside, however, to owning suede: it can get stained really, really easily. Because suede has a napped texture, it attracts moisture and makes them more susceptible to damage. Even worse? Any dyes or color that has been added to the suede can fade and run if you wear them in the rain. Yikes.
I used to have an expensive pair of light gray suede booties that I’d owned for years. They were my go-to in the fall and winter because they went with everything. But last year when I grabbed them out of storage, I realized that they had seen their last show. It was time for them to make their way to the giveaway pile. RIP.
If only I had known then what our friends at KIWI® have taught me–that there are products out there that will clean and protect your shoes so you don’t have to just give them away. Shocking, I know. But seriously, before you roll your eyes at me, how many times have you just thrown out a pair of shoes instead of trying to fix them up? I’m going to guess it’s more than once or twice.
You can pick up KIWI® SUEDE & NUBUCK CLEANER at Walmart and bring your suede shoes back to life in just a few quick steps:
1. Lay down a cloth to protect the area. Be sure you’re in a well-ventilated area.
2. Scrub your shoes (gently) with the bristle cap. It’s designed to loosen up any dirt that might be deep down in the fibers of your shoe.
3. Shake the can and spray your shoe evenly. Be sure not to saturate it. Just follow the directions. They are there for a good reason!
4. Scrub gently with the bristle cap one more time. This will remove any remaining debris or dirt.
5. Wipe it clean with a dry cloth. This will help soak up any excess spray as well.
Boom. Your suede will look amazing and you don’t have to lay your favorite shoes to rest. Once your shoes are dry, spray them with KIWI® SUEDE & NUBUCK PROTECTOR to help prevent stains and repel water.
Don’t make the same mistake I did. Clean and protect your shoes instead of just tossing them out. You might even be surprised at the shoes you can bring back to life.
(P.S. If anyone near me has picked up a pair of grey Sam Edelman booties at a local thrift shop…I want them back.)