Non-Dairy Milk Brands at Every Retailer
My husband and I took a nutrition class in January 2012 that totally changed our lives. In short, the focus was on cutting processed foods from our diet and replacing them with natural, whole foods. One of the first things we eliminated from our diet was cow’s milk (and along with that, the mysterious stomach aches I had now and then were suddenly gone, too!). Through this process, almond milk became a fast favorite in our house for everyday use. We also fell in love with coconut milk, especially for cooking and as coffee creamer. As non-dairy milk has grown in popularity, there are more brands and choices than ever before.
If you’re just starting to navigate the world of non-dairy milk, or even if you’re a pro, here’s a full roundup of the top five non-dairy milk brands (and what varieties they offer) that you can likely find at your local grocery store.
Note: An asterisk (*) notates which flavors come in both sweetened and unsweetened varieties.
Silk is one of our primary go-tos when it comes to buying almond milk. This brand is passionate about plant-based foods and makes much more than just milk: almond and soy creamers, dairy-free yogurt, and seasonal “Silk nog” are all on their roster. Their non-dairy milk options include:
- Almond (original*, vanilla*, dark chocolate)
- Cashew (original*, unsweetened vanilla, chocolate)
- Coconut (original*, vanilla)
- Soy (original, vanilla, chocolate, seasonal nog)
- Blends: Almond & Coconut*
So Delicious is my go-to for dairy-free ice cream, and they also have a great line-up of dairy-free products, including dairy-free cheese, yogurt, creamers, and of course, milk. Their non-dairy milk options include:
- Almond (unsweetened, vanilla)
- Coconut (original*, vanilla*, sugar free, chocolate, nog)
- Cashew (original, vanilla)
Blue Diamond is all about the respectable almond. I’m a big fan of their nut-thins (which are excellent for people who eat GF), but that’s another story! Let’s look at their milk options:
- Almond (original*, reduced sugar, chocolate*, vanilla*, hint of honey, hint of honey vanilla)
- Blends: Almond Coconut Original*, Almond Coconut Unsweetened Vanilla, Almond Cashew*, Almond Cashew Vanilla*
When we started our dairy-free diet, Rice Dream was one of the first beverages we had. While the rice flavor isn’t my favorite, it’s still an excellent option that many people appreciate. Dream’s plant-based beverage line-up expands further than just rice, though, and they have plant-based yogurt and ice cream, too!
- Rice (original*, vanilla, chocolate, horchata, nog)
- Sprouted Rice (unsweetened)
- Soy (original, vanilla)
- Almond (unsweetened, pumpkin spice)
- Coconut (original*, vanilla)
- Cashew (original*)
- Blends: Coconut, Almond & Chia*; Rice & Quinoa*; Almond, Cashew & Hazelnut*
I know the Pacific brand best from their soups and broths (which are top notch!), but they also have an extensive line of non-dairy beverages. They actually have the most variety from any other brand listed here! So, if you’re struggling to find a non-dairy beverage flavor that resonates with you, here are a few more options to consider:
- Almond (original*, vanilla*, chocolate)
- Hemp (original*, vanilla* chocolate)
- Soy (original*, vanilla)
- Hazelnut (original, chocolate)
- Rice (original, vanilla)
- Oat (original, vanilla)
- Coconut (original*, vanilla*)
- Cashew (original*, vanilla*)
So there you have it! There are so many great non-dairy milk options on the market right now, and it can be hard to pick a favorite. If you’re just starting to navigate the world of non-dairy beverages, try a few different brands and varieties to see what works best for your family. Now I’m off to make an iced latte with Silk unsweetened almond milk– cheers!