Here’s How To Have Healthy Skin At Every Age
Big decade birthdays (20, 30, 40…) are usually a major milestone in every woman’s life. Some of those decade markers are wonderful things, like the wisdom that comes with every learning experience or solidifying the tribe that you do life with. One of the harder things about big decade birthdays, however, is the physical change that comes with aging—especially in our faces. I’m trying to be better about taking care of my skin now so that I can look and feel happy and healthy for the next decade, and the one after that.
There’s no one secret to getting healthy skin for life—but there are several things you can be doing right now to make it possible.
If you’re in your 20’s, now is the time to protect your skin and prevent future damage! You may not have wrinkles or sun damage yet, so let’s try and keep it that way.
- Get a water-based, oil free cleanser with salicylic acid
- Use a daily moisturizer with SPF 30+ (did you know that 80% of visible signs of aging are caused by UV rays?!)
- Spot treatment: for those annoying pimples that show up, use a gel cream that heals acne faster
Fight the first signs of aging now by incorporating simple habits like exfoliation and daily moisturizing.
- Slough off dead skin cells that keep your skin from looking bright and even by using an exfoliator once or twice a day.
- Tighten skin by using a toning night repair moisturizer (this one has retinol, which is an great wrinkle fighter!
- Typically your eyes are the first place to show signs of aging since the skin is extra delicate, so start using a cream with antioxidants right after your nightly moisturizer
Your skin cells are losing their natural elasticity, which can cause more wrinkles and fine lines, but you can combat the issues with stellar moisturizers to increase collagen and decrease your risk of deeper wrinkles.
- Up your sunscreen game by using an ultra-sheer cream like this with SPF 70
- Make sure your exfoliating routine is also highly moisturized by using a cleanser that focuses on tone and texture without drying it out
- Use a heavy duty moisturizer before bed that can do the work for you while you sleep
In your 20s you avoid too much oil, but at 50+ it’s a great addition to our skin that is drying out.
- Focus on using products with active ingredients that firm, hydrate and fill in lines. Try using a face and neck oil like this one that is packed with antioxidants
- To help with crow’s feet you can use an eye cream with collagen plumping kinetin to your nightly routine
- If you have a few extra minutes, grab an at-home facial peel that will speed up the old cell removal process
I can’t leave you without saying this: every wrinkle and line has a story to tell, a belly laugh or a month of tears or the best vacation you ever had. And while we may want those stories to stand out just a little less on our face, it’s a great reminder that you get to choose your adventures and with it, you wear the keepsakes of a life being lived. So feel free to pamper yourself and definitely focus on keeping your skin healthy, but remember that every life stage brings something more beautiful to your story and is worth embracing!